Types of institutions
Higher education programs in the Republic of Serbia are delivered at:
- Universities – independent higher education institutions that may offer all types and levels of study courses. Only a small number of programmes are delivered directly by universities. Most of them are offered by faculties, members of the university.
- Faculties – members of the universities. Most of the courses are offered by these institutions which have a certain degree of independence, but have to act within one of accredited universities.
- Academies of Arts – like faculties, these institutions are members of universities. They offer programmes in the artistic fields
- Colleges - independent higher education institution that offer basic, specialist and master’s degree courses. There are two types of colleges:
- Colleges of Applied Studies
- Colleges of Academic Studies
There are approximately 267,000 students at all higher education institutions in the Republic of Serbia (universities, faculties and vocational and academic study colleges). Most of them study at state universities - around 85%, while approx. 15% study at private higher education institutions.
In total, there are around 216,647 students at universities* (out of which 181,688 study at public and 34,959 at private universities). Also, there are 45,285 students at public colleges of applied studies and 5,007 at private colleges.